NameJohann Conrad DIEFFENBACH
Birth1659, Berstadt, Hesse ( in today’s Germany)
Death11 Oct 1738, Tulephocken, Berks County, PA
FatherClause DIEFFENBACH (-<1709)
Birthabt 1670, Canton Berne, Switzerland
Deathabt 1737, Tulpehocken, Berks County, PA
Marriage25 Dec 1702, Wiesloch, Baden Germany
ChildrenJohann Ludwig (Died as Infant) (1704-)
 Anna Elizabeth (1708-1752)
 Johann Adam (1711-1777)
 Anna Dorothea (1714-1755)
ChildrenCatherine Margaretha (1698-)
 Jacob (Died as Infant) (1702-)
Notes for Johann Conrad DIEFFENBACH
According to information compiled by historians Ray J. Dieffenbach and George L. Irgang and first published in 1982 by the Mayflower Printing Company, Johann Conrad Dieffenbach, a 43 year old widower and his three children were living in Wiesloch, in the Baden region of what is today southern Germany in 1702. He was a cooper by trade. The following information is based primarily on information in that publication:

Conrad had likely spent many years learning his trade, practicing the exact angle to bevel the sides of staves that would ensure liquid-tight barrels probably to contain wine for Wiesloch was in the heart of German wine country. He may also have done some farming.

On Christmas Day, 1702, he married Maria Barbara Christler, a daughter of deceased Hans Jakob Christler of Ober Siebenthal, Canton Berne, Switzerland. They were married in the Reformed Church. Church books recorded the births of three of their children; John Ludwig, born September 10, 1704, (who apparently died soon after birth); Maria Elizabeth, August 7, 1705, and Anna Elizabeth, May 8, 1708. Church books also record that on May 15, 1709, "Conrad Dieffenbach and his household" left Wiesloch for America. This household included his wife, his three daughters, and his mother Anna, then seventy four years old. Anna may have been his step-mother, widow of Claus Dieffenbach who died at Berstadt on March 6, 1684.

It is a matter of record that on June 11, 1709, the Dieffenbach party had arrived at St. Catherine's dock near the Tower of London.
A number of transport ships (ten according to most sources) was at last assembled at Plymouth, and from December on, several thousand Germans were housed in these ships, where they waited until April, 1710, when they finally set sail for New York. In June the journey ended at Nutten Island. Almost a year spent just in reaching America. Many had died of disease and privation since December, and many others of fever on the island, but the Dieffenbach party all survived. After a long period of quarantine and other delays, early in October they were moved up the Hudson River to Livingston Manor.

Dieffenbach and his family, on their entry to America, encountered what many emigrants experienced, namely English clerks, with no knowledge of German, trying to convert what the name of the emigrant was. In Dieffenbach’s case it varied from Devabaugh and Twinbaugh to Devonbaugh and Jeffbach, among about a half dozen other versions. It eventually was Americanized to the surname Tevebaugh.

NOTE: According to a reconstructed passenger list, Dieffenbach and his family arrived in New York harbor on June 14, 1710 aboard the ship “Fame.” That is the same ship and date that Joachim Ernst Horner and his family arrived in America. One of Joachim’s children, Michael Ernst (Harness, Sr.) would later become the husband of one of Dieffenbach’s daughters (Maria Elizabetha.)
Last Modified 7 Sep 2009Created 15 Oct 2011 using Reunion for Macintosh